Updated: Sep 30, 2019
Cheese is one of the last things to go when transitioning to a plant-based diet. Often that means pizza must go too, however, with this melty cheese recipe it can remain on your meal plan. It is loaded with plant goodness and includes tinned jackfruit, which mimics BBQ chicken in appearance and feeds the beneficial bacteria in your gut. The jackfruit was a new taste sensation and seriously impressed my carnivore teenager. Give this recipe a try today!
1 wholemeal pizza base, 230g (check ingredients are vegan)
100 ml tomato sauce (100ml passata, 1 tsp dried basil, 1 garlic clove, crushed)
1/4 capsicum, sliced
1/2 small onion sliced
6 black with olives
75g tinned pineapple pieces
1/2 cup spinach leaves
3 mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp pine nuts 20g
1/4 cup tinned jackfruit (can be found in the tinned fruit section of Woolworths)
100g dairy-free cheese (or see my recipe below)
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Spread the tomato sauce over the base and arrange the sliced vegetables over the top.
3. Top with vegan cheese of your choice (or use my recipe below), sprinkle with mixed herbs and bake for 15 minutes or until the pizza is browning on top. Enjoy!
Vegan Melty Cheese Ingredients:
1 medium potato, 100g, diced
1/2 cup arborio rice
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp white miso paste
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Vegan Melty Cheese Method:
1. Add the potato and rice to the water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed.
2. Add to a high powered blender and blitz until smooth. Thermomix = 30 secs/speed
103. Add the rest of the ingredients and blitz again until combined and smooth. Thermomix = 10 secs/Speed 4.
3. Use immediately on a pizza or nachos. Due to it's consistency, use two spoons to scoop and dollop onto the dish you require for the melty cheese. Enjoy!