Curry is brimming with all the fabulous flavours and nutrients that boost our immunity - turmeric, onion, garlic, ginger. It is a medicine bowl really! But thankfully it tastes great, too. The black rice is power packed with protein and fibre. It was so desirable for its healthful properties that is was called the 'forbidden rice' in ancient China as it was only available to the wealthy or royalty. We are blessed to be able to have this delightfully nutty, chewy rice with our curry and eat like kings and queens.
Vegan, Dairy Free
100g green beans, cut into 1cm lengths
1 carrot, 135g, diced
6 small potatoes, 300g, diced
1/2 capsicum, 70g, diced
1 cup black rice, 200g
6 cups water, 1.5lt
*2 tomatoes, diced
*1 onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic, crushed
*1 knob of ginger, 10g, grated
1 tin chickpeas, 400g, rinsed
2 x 270 ml tins of coconut milk
500ml vegetable stock powder
375g firm tofu, cubed
1/3 cup Massaman curry paste, 100g
salt to taste
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic and ginger for 4 minutes.
2. Add potatoes into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes.
4. On the stove, in a separate pot bring the black rice and water to the boil and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes until the rice is tender and chewy. Strain the rice using a mesh colander. 8. stock, coconut milk, curry paste and cook 8 mins/100°C/sp1/
9. Return all the veggies to the bowl, add chickpeas, tofu and cook on reverse a further 8 mins/100°C/sp1/or until heated through.
10. Season to taste with salt and serve over rice.
All ingredients as above, but the following do not need to be diced or crushed:
*2 tomatoes, in quarters
*1 onion, in quarters
*2 cloves garlic, whole
*1 knob of ginger
1. Place potatoes into the steaming basket, insert and add enough water to Thermomix bowl to just cover.
2. Place prepared green beans, carrots and capsicum the Varoma tray.
3. Set to Varoma/20mins/sp3.
4. On the stove bring the rice and water to the boil and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes until the rice is tender and chewy. Strain the black rice using a mesh colander.
4. Remove the Varoma with vegetables and the potatoes using the spatula hook and set aside.