Updated: Dec 11, 2019
I have started to watch My Kitchen Rules (MKR) for the first time ever. There are two Peruvian ametuer cooks who really know their stuff this season. I was really taken by the flavour combinations and the idea of their 'black beer rice'. While I am not a beer drinker, I am a kombucha lover, I thought the fermented flavours could add an interesting zing.
Here is my take on a risotto with peruvian inspired flavours. With diversity of plant foods always as my goal for good gut health, I chose three kids of rice. It was sooooo delicious! It was warm, rich and full flavoured. I will definitely be cooking this again. The brown and wild rice are not classic risotto rices but the diversity is great for gut health.
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Makes 6 serves
1/2 capsicum, diced
1 brown onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs Olive Oil
4 field mushrooms, diced
1 small sweet potato, diced
3 Tbs semi dried coriander
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
3 Tbs vegetable stock powder (Massell's)
4 cups water
3 cups kombucha (I used my unflavoured home brew) ginger and lemon flavour would work well also
1 tin of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 cup white rice (arborio)
1 cup brown rice
3/4 cups of black wild rice
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, saute the capsicum, onion and garlic in the olive oil.
2. Now add the rice and toss it in the pan. Keep it on the heat for a few minutes to toast the rice.
3. Turn up the heat and add 3/4 cup of kombucha to the rice. Bubble this away until the rice and onion mix looks slippery rather than wet.
4. Add all the other ingredients, except the garnish, and stir through the rice. Pop a lid on the pot and turn down the heat. Leave for 20 minutes to simmer away. Stir and keep cooking for another 5-10 mins.
3. Test the readiness of the rice - the wild rice will be naturally firmer and chewier. The texture you are looking for is oozy so it spreads like honey when dolloped on the plate.
4. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
@theguthealthmd #guthealth#plantbasedfood #theguthealthmd#eattherainbow #healthydesserts#wholefoods #cleaneating#gutbrainconnection #recipes#healthyrecipes #vegan #vegetarian#eatclean #risotto #healthyfood#nutrition #delish #delicious #yummy # #foodie #yum #foodblogger #foods#foodphotography #peruvianfood