Updated: Oct 8, 2019
These cottage rolls are a wonderful plant-based version to have on hand to pair with a salad or a steamed vegetable meal. They can be easily frozen raw or cooked for versatility. To feed your microbiome in your gut, the variety of nuts, seeds and grains in these rolls will keep them happy. They are great for batch cooking and I totally recommend that because in my home, they are gone as soon as they come out of the oven :)
Makes 24 rolls
1 Tbsp chia seeds
2 Tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
1 onion, quartered
11/2 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup quick oats
3 sheets of puff pastry (many generic supermarket brands are in fact vegan - check ingredients)
2 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
Soy milk or other plant based milk - to brush on top
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Place the chia and flax seeds together with the water in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside to thicken for 10 minutes.
3. Place the soaked seeds, nuts, hummus, tamari and the onion into a blender and blitz until fine and combined.
4. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and stir through the oats and bread crumbs.
5. Lay the puff pastry sheets on the bench and cut each sheet into half. Spoon 1/6th of the mixture along the length of one of the half sheets like a log. Roll the pastry over the filling and overlap the pastry slightly to close the roll. Cut in half and then half again to make 4 sausage rolls. Repeat for the other puff pastry sheets.
6. Brush the rolls with the soy milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
7. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden and crisp. Enjoy!
note - can be frozen prior to baking or after being cooked.