Updated: Aug 26, 2019
Burgers are a universal favourite. These plant-based patties are a great way to load up on a diversity of plants without much effort. These patties are great for batch cooking and for keeping the freezer to pair with a simple salad or cauliflower bread (see recipe below) at any time.
Vegan, Dairy Free
Makes 12 patties
Chia eggs (3 Tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3/4 cup water)
1 small sweet potato, grated
1 carrot, grated
1 cup pecans/walnuts, blitzed
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp tamari
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme or mixed herbs
1 cup oat flour (to make oat flour add 1 cup oats to blender to blitz until fine)
2 cups oats
1. To make chia eggs, mix the chia seeds and the water well and set aside to thicken.
2. Mix all the ingredients together and use a 1/2 cup measure to scoop portions to mould into patties.
3. Fry on medium heat in a frypan. Cook for 5 minutes both sides until golden.
4. Serve together with a salad, tomato sauce and vegan mayonnaise on a wholemeal bread roll or on the cauliflower bread (recipe below)
Makes 8 rounds
Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
Cauliflower Bread Ingredients:
Half a small head of cauliflower
2 cups of almond meal
3 tsp turmeric
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
Cauliflower Bread Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Break the cauliflower up into florets and blitz in a blender until it becomes 'rice'. This will produce approx 4 cups.
3. Mix all the other ingredients together and stir in the cauliflower rice.
4. Take 1/3 cup portions of the mixture and mould into rounds 1cm thick and lay them onto a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Let the cauliflower bread cool on the bench and then enjoy!