As soon as I saw this kind of potato, I started to drool. I mean who doesn't love crunchy potato with a soft centre! But what could make it even better? Let's make it sweet potato! It's quite simple to do and worth the effort. It just takes some time in the slicing. There are probably some clever gadgets that could do it for you, but all you need really, is a knife. So let's get slicing!
vegan, dairy-free, gluten free
4 small sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1.5 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp smoked paprika
400g can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
400g can 3-bean mix, drained and rinsed
4 tomatoes, quartered
1 spring onion, sliced
4 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup salad leaves, sliced
1.5 cup purple or green cabbage, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Peel or scrub each sweet potato. Insert a skewer lengthways through the base of the potato. This will prevent you from slicing all the way through. Make many slices across each sweet potato's back, a few millimetres apart. If you do cut it all the way through, all is not lost. You just will have two pieces to put on the plate. When you are done, remove the skewer and the potato should be able to open up on the cut side like a spring.
3. Place sliced potatoes in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt then roast for 40 mins.
4. Take the potatoes out of the oven and run a fork gently across the tops of the potatoes, using light pressure, to fan the slices and separate them from one another. Baste with olive oil again. Sprinkle with salt and nutritional yeast flakes then roast for 20 minutes more until golden and crispy on the edges.
5. Meanwhile, saute the onion and garlic in a frypan in a little olive oil until soft. Then add tomato paste and smoked paprika. Stir though and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add the can of tomatoes, including juice and the worcestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
7. Add the 3-bean mins and stir until heated through. Set aside with lid on and a towel to keep warm.
8. Mix the mayonnaise, the apple cider vinegar and salt together and stir through the salad leaves and cabbage.
9. Divide the beans between the four bowls. Place one hasselback sweet potato along the side and arrange the salad vegetables on top. Serve and enjoy immediately!