Updated: Dec 16, 2019
There is one sandwich spread that universally stands the test of time - curried egg. Whip up this vegan version for a powerhouse of nutrition. This spread is fantastic to keep in the fridge for a wholesome snack or a light meal.
1/2 cup soup mix - mixed dry lentils and beans, 100g
1/2 cup dried chickpeas, 100g
2 medjool dates
1 lt water
1 shallots, chopped
3 tsp curry powder
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 stick celery
3 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1. Soak dates in a cup for 15 mins, drain and set aside. In a separate bowl soak the lentils, beans and chickpeas for 15 mins (overnight would be even better) then rinse in cold water.
2. Add the soaked lentils and beans to a fresh litre of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Then lower heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Rinse and drain and set aside.
3. Add all the ingredients - reserved lentils and chickpeas, dates, spring onion, garlic, celery mayonnaise, lemon juice, nutritional yeast flakes and salt together into a food processor and process until smooth and well combined. Adjust seasoning if needed.
4. Spread on your favourite bread or my favourite choice - 9-grain Vita-Weat crispbread.
1. Place a bowl on top of the lid of the Thermomix and weigh lentils and chickpeas into it.
2. Cover with water and set aside to soak for 15 minutes (overnight would be even better). Transfer into simmering basket, then rinse and drain.
3. Place a fresh litre of water into mixing bowl. Insert simmering basket with lentils and chickpeas and cook 40 min/95°C/speed 4. Remove simmering basket with aid of spatula, rinse in cold water and set aside to drain.
4. Rinse and dry mixing bowl. Place celery, garlic and shallots into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5
5. Add lemon juice, mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, dates, curry powder, salt and reserved cooked lentils and chickpeas and pulse Turbo/2 sec/0 times. Enjoy straight away or transfer into a container refrigerator for up to 5 days.